Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Book Club

In 1978 I joined a book club in our home ward and still consider myself a member today. The group had been meeting for 6 years when a member moved. They decided to invite someone to take her place. Fortunately, I was one of three who were recommended and we all were included. This group has seen me through every stage of life, having babies, dealing with teenagers, going through menapause, adjusting to grandparenting and now facing the challenges of aging. We've read the books that matched our stages all the way along. Some have fulfilled missions and then returned to "book club" to report their adventure. In April I made a trip to Arizona and one of the "tender mercies" of the Lord allowed me to attend a Book Club evening. How great it was to be with my "sisters" again, feel their spirit and get rejuvenated. It felt kind of strange, however, to realize that they were all meeting, reading, discussing, etc. just as if I had not left! I'm hoping to attend the December couples Christmas dinner when I'm there for Christmas. I still consider myself to be a book club member, even though I am away and will one day return to them again. How grateful I am for that group and all we've learned together. It was often our "therapy". Each member is different and that's the joy of it! Thank you book club sisters!

1 comment:

Shawni said...

I'm so with you on loving book clubs. I hope ours will stay in tact that long!!