Friday, February 25, 2011

Prayer

James E. Talmage, Jesus the Christ, 238
God without our prayers would be God; but I without prayer …

It was our assignment in a gospel study class this week to complete this statement as it relates to our own life. I can’t even imagine my life without prayer. I realize that many people in this world do not pray. They have been raised without religion and go forward in life with faith, without knowing the source of that faith. I do know the object of my faith. It is Jesus Christ and the opportunity He has given me to pray through him to God, the literal father of my spirit, in a personal, meaningful communication is the foundation for my very being. I rely on prayer every day to evaluate where I am and where I want to go, who I am and what I want to be. I look to prayer as the source of my instructions for the day, for I know that as I commune with God, I receive direction in the form of thoughts and feelings. This is not only true as I kneel in prayer but throughout the day as I turn my thoughts to the Lord for help and direction. It comes. There is no doubt in my mind.

Without prayer I would have no confidence, for I know the source of my power and abilities as well as my direction. Prayer is the most powerful blessing I can imagine. Coupled with the Holy Ghost who makes that communication possible, it creates the whole framework for my daily life. Do I forget to pray sometimes? Yes, I do forget or delay my formal prayers occasionally, but I still have a prayer in my heart constantly. I often pray with a thought, a glance, a yearning to do the right thing or a heart swelling with gratitude as I recognize the daily assistance I am receiving.

My gratitude for prayer is overwhelming. Prayers are answered. I know they are. I completely trust the Lord to answer my prayers in the way that is best for me. I hope that just thinking about this will help me to be more earnest, regular and focused in my prayers. When I am focused I definitely receive answers…most often immediately, but sometimes it takes time. How grateful I am for prayer and a Heavenly Father I can trust.

No comments: