Monday, June 6, 2011

Will Spring Ever Come?

It is June 6th, almost the 7th and it's rainy and gloomy outside. The whole week will be questionable. True, it's not snow and the fields are green. There are flowers and flowering trees all about which would make you think that spring is here. The weather just doesn't know if it wants to make the change.

There is something in the soul that yearns for spring, hopes for summer, clings to Fall and tolerates the last half of Winter. It's the long lingering of winter that is hard. The first few months are beautiful, a true fairyland. I really don't mind it at all. I've learned to negotiate slick, unplowed roads and sub zero temperatures as long as I can return to my cozy home, park in the garage and enjoy our fireplaces. Yes, It's beautiful in Rexburg in the winter. I love dressing in layers (the more covering the better at my age), and I really don't have to be outside much anyway.

What is hard are the months anticipating Spring with the hope of summer to follow. The calendar suggests that spring is coming. Every once in a while we get a day that convinces us maybe it's here, but then it slips back into the windy, cold, wet of pre Spring and the wait continues. It is Memorial Day before we can really plant our little bedding plants and we are lucky to get much of a harvest from our gardens, but it's all worth it, as the green fields stretch as far as the eye can see and flowers frame the streets and houses. Once the weather reaches the 60's, the parks are filled. People shed their coats and the spirit of spring fills the air.

I'm sure the anticipation of spring is really the yearning for summer, when people are outside as much as is humanly possible.
It's amazing how much we enjoy those months of true Spring and Summer and even Fall when we have to wait, anticipate and just get small glimpses of it. I know spring will come, and summer will follow. I have faith!

No comments: