Monday, July 12, 2010

The Joy of Family












What a joy it was to have family with us over the 4th of July. That holiday in Rexburg is the best!
We have the options of a parade, a rodeo, fireworks, , spray park, lake,carousel, feeding ducks and roasting hot dogs and s'mores. We included swimming at a neighbors in a beautiful heated pool (good thing since it was still chilly here), a movie, a trip to G-dairy, wuffle ball and playground at the park. We could have included a marathon, bowling, rafting, bike riding...see there are lots of things to do in Rexburg, especially on the 4th.

Seth and Julie's family, Stephen and Kara's family and Carol Lynn all came to help celebrate. It was wonderful! The late night visits after the children were in bed were worth the shorter nights and we all survived. After the Parkinsons returned home Sunday night, the Oxnams arrived for their family reunion. Bob and I and Carol Lynn moved to Sam and Nancy's house just straight through the field and turned our home over to the Oxnams. That worked out beautifully. We had a family BBQ with Sam's extended family on Monday night, played Skrewy Louie and had great visits while Steve and Kara continued to wear themselves out with tennis, fishing, frisbee softball, Rigby Lake and more. I'll let Kara tell you all about that.

Carol Lynn and I took the opportunity to spend a night at Yellowstone Nat'l Park where we viewed two plays, "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers" and "The Foreigner" and drove to and hiked the falls. The weather was heaven and so was the ice cream! We were able to link up with Dad on our way back. He was attending a Faculty Dinner in Island Park where the men were fishing at a private pond. (I forgot this event when I made the plans but was able to see several faculty and wives anyway). We all drove home together. I'm with Shawni, I'd prefer to have Bob do the driving, especially at night.

We had another day and a half with Steve's family and I felt like the children really knew me and felt my love. They were very responsive and so darling! So, I'm going to join Dad on his "mancation" Wisconsin this weekend to spend a couple more days with them! Hopefully, while the men are playing I can help Kara get some projects done by enjoying the children and keeping them occupied. With our recent interaction they will be comfortable with that and so will I...not looking forward to two days of travel but will surely love the two days in Wisconsin. We want to take advantage of every opportunity to be with family. It truly feeds our spirits!




No comments: