Sunday, September 21, 2008

A Leader Who Made a Difference

http://www.legacy.com/DeseretNews/Obituaries.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=117597674

Sometimes people come into your life and leave a mark that forever changes you. Gloria Poulton was one of those people in my life. She was my Mutual Teacher over 45 years ago and I still feel like some of my self image comes from her unconditional love and willingness to share her time with me. She was "My Mutual Teacher" not just during my teens but throughout my life.

Gloria Poulton passed away last week. She had been a widow for many years, on dialysis for 14 years and fought cancer the last two years. This is a happy time for Gloria. I can only imagine what a joy it is to her to join her darling husband, Daryl, once again. They were a young couple in the 31st Ward with 4 little children, a wonderfully loving relationship and a home on Princeton Avenue. That home though small was always open to young people and often filled. Their open door policy gave me a place to go when I needed someone to talk to, share with or just feel some love.

Gloria loved all the young people in her care and kept in touch with many of them through the years. When I visited her, she could catch me up on what was happening in the lives of the others. She was the one who would always say, “There never will be another Bishop like Bishop Poelman (my Dad).

I remember visiting her after I became engaged to Bob. She made the comment: “It’s fun to see you think with your heart instead of your head for a change.” She knew me pretty well! A few months ago I went through the Bountiful Temple with a student from BYU-Idaho, just a few blocks from where Gloria lived in later years. Though I had been there before, I couldn’t remember just where she lived and had not planned ahead. I wish so that I had made arrangements to see her again that day. I know, however, that Gloria would understand and love me anyway. That’s the gift she always gave.

1 comment:

Shawni said...

I'm so sorry that she's gone, but that does make me so happy she gets to be with her husband again after going through all those health issues! I love great people that make such a difference like that.

I also love catching up on this blog! I love blogs because I hear about stuff that we don't get to on the phone. So happy all is well...and I loved the list of great things about Rexburg. Makes me want to come back again right away!
Love, Shawni