Thursday, July 17, 2014

LIFE IN GHANA

There are so many things that I experience each day that I want to remember.  Some of them are related to the culture of this fine land but some are just part of our experience living in Africa for the summer.

Our Clothes Dryer
It makes for a LOT of ironing!


We are so grateful to have a clothes washer 
right in the kitchen and it works great!
We wash and rinse our dishes after boiling our water, adding detergent and bleach
Bedroom vanity. What a luxury!

African Hairdo. I haven't used a blow
dryer in weeks.  Just grateful it curls!
Hope I can make it through without a haircut!

 I used to try to style my hair.  The hairdryer needed an adapter and was awkward to use and eventually I found it worked better to just lift my hair with my fingers, scrunch it to make it curl and call it good!

Make up is also an issue.  I can put it on but will soon find it running down my cheeks.  The heat and humidity are not make up friendly.

So, now I am old, have frizzy hair, little makeup and I'm stuck with it! However, it doesn't matter one little bit!



 Our bathroom looks good but has issues.  There has been a leak in it since we arrived. We've had people in to fix it twice but it's worse than ever.  We put a wastepaper basket in the shower to catch a drip and towels along the wall to absorb the water.

When the floor is wet (which is usually), and you step in the wet, it makes your feet really slippery on the tile.  That's my biggest concern.  We don't need to fall.  We may just have to give up and change to the guest bathroom.  I have a feeling the leak is coming from within the wall in the pipes that lead from the water heater hanging under the ceiling in our bedroom which leads to the shower.  Sure would like to solve that one! It's not for lack of trying!
This table is used for meals, meetings, holding electronics while they charge, wash, ironing, whatever.  It comes in handy!  I prefer it without the table cloth.

We have quite a time keeping all our items charged.  We have 3 adapters but two computers, two ipads, four phones and two mobile internets besides appliances.  We are constantly rotating devices to be sure they will be charged for the next day's activities.


There are items I am so grateful I brought and those I could have left behind. I brought measuring cups and spoons - use them daily! Also zip lock bags and these containers for leftovers.  Love them! I brought a roll of plastic wastepaper liners.  Will be so sad when they are gone! For some reason I brought tin foil.  Use it all the time in place of plastic wrap. I thought I would make tin foil dinners in the oven but the oven is gas and complicated so haven't used it.  At least not yet.

We don't use most of the emergency type things we brought, mosquito netting, extra repellant, ponchos, water filter bottles.  We mainly buy our water in bottles.  We do filter water to clean vegetables and eggs in a bleach water bath and cooking noodles, etc. that takes more water.

 It's amazing how few utensils you really need.  I don't have a whisk, a rubber spatula, a grater, a crock pot or a working oven and I thought I didn't have a lot of other things until I discovered they were hanging on the wall.


We buy our bread every few days just across the street, fresh out of the oven.  That sounds dreamy, doesn't it? However, you haven't tasted it yet!  One of the challenges with food is everything tastes different than we are used to.  There are flavors there that are strange to us.  Not sure if we will get used to it or just tolerate it!



Obviously one of our favorite breakfasts.  We bought
this pan because the ones in the apt. were thin and
didn't cook well.  The pots are fine!
 Occasionally we will find and indulge in something decadent! We found these oreos in an American Store (most things are stale). We paid 22 cedis for it.  That is still over $7. It seemed worth it at the time. Sometimes we buy a snickers and put it in the freezer


Bananas are a staple!  They never look very good but are always delicious.  These look decent.  Most are very small and look like they are ready to be thrown away but they are firm and tasty inside or am I just hungry?  No, they have been good from the beginning! We actually eat several a day. We also eat apples, pineapple and mangos.

 One big obstacle is the lack of milk.  Well, they actually do sell milk in a box but we can't stand the taste.  We've tried different brands but taste them and throw them away.  We don't even want to risk cooking with them.  I put a can of "Morning Moo" from WalMarts in a zip lock bag and packed it in my suitcase.  It has been a true lifesaver!!!! I just wish I had brought two or three!  We make up one quart a week to share.  That means we rarely use it for anything but on our cereal.  We also brought a bag of Quaker Granola, two jars of peanut butter, granola bars and some nuts.  We'll be majorly sad when any of those things are finally gone.
We try to ration them.

 I made a container out of a bottle to mix the milk in then later found this plastic one that fit in the refrigerator well.  I boil water to have warm water to make it dissolve, then add filtered water or use bottled water to finish it up.  We can't get more than about two breakfasts each of cereal, hot or cold that requires milk.

I found some Cream of Wheat and we really like that.  Bob didn't think he liked it but now really enjoys it.  All things are relative.  We also have a type of oatmeal and eggs.  I'm going to try some swedish pancakes this weekend.
While driving home one day Emmanuel bought some polo through the car door on the street.  It tasted like macaroons to me and I enjoyed it.  It was something with some flavor to chew on.

A couple of weeks later I told him I wanted to buy some polo.  I bought 6.  That was a mistake.
By the next day they were pretty stale.  I managed to eat a couple more but ended up throwing them away.  Oh well, it was fun the first time!

I must conclude with our newly discovered
favorite treat of all...buttered popcorn

We love to pop it in the microwave in a brown
paper sack, melt a french butter that is yummy
and pour it over.  Then salt it.  I made the
mistake of buying unsalted butter so we also
salt the butter!  What a treat!

We were hoping to lose some weight since nothing tastes very good, but I have a feeling that's not going to happen.  We are too good at trying to compensate!

No comments: