Sunday, July 3, 2011

"That Which Is Not Written Is Lost"

Our daughter, Julie, just used the above title on her blog. It was a thought shared at our family reunion as our children told stories of ancestors before family prayer each evening at our recent Pothier Family Reunion (more later). As I prepared materials I realized that the only reason we know anything about an ancestor is because of the stories told or written. Stories tend to change, so the facts are sometimes questioned. The most reliable sources are the things written by the person himself.

I realized that my own grandmother is our grandchildren's great great grandmother. That was an awakening for me. I have one memory of my great grandmother, who crossed the plains at age 8. To my own grandchildren, she is their great great great grandmother, yet I know both. Those of us in between are the only link they have unless her history is recorded.

I truly want to gather and digitize the stories that we do have and research to see if others have more life histories, but my first responsibility is to see that my own history and personal experiences are written and my memories of those I know, personally, are recorded.

There are so many tools today to preserve our memories and experiences. Blogs, journals and pictures are priceless. Within the recordings of our own experiences we can include memories of others. I love my children and grand children with all my heart and soul. I will love great grandchildren and their children... forever. I'm sure our ancestors feel the same and yet we don't even know them.

I am resolved to write. I hope this is one resolve I can keep.

No comments: