Monday, July 11, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

I am a project person. My tendency is to "keep my nose to the grindstone" and get my "work" done. I judge my day by "what I've accomplished". However, I'm realizing projects never truly "get done". Sometimes there aren't even any really good stopping places. While I am working, people are all about, facing their own worries, and challenges. I get great fulfillment from connecting with people, especially when I can lift or help them in some way.

In my prayer this morning. I asked, as I often do, that I might be aware of the needs of others. That prayer was answered and it feels good. The Lord allowed me to "be there" for someone who was little more than a stranger this morning, but we shared one of life's most significant moments and a bond of love was born.

Our elderly neighbor had a heart attack and I was able to overcome my hesitations, enter their home with the paramedics and become a companion to his wife. I was with her at the hospital and held her in my arms when he passed away. The thought of losing my own sweetheart has been a major fear for me all my married life and I ached for her as she faced that dreaded moment.

There are many imminent decisions and challenges left for her. Maybe I can assist her with some of them, but then she will move away. This may be just one moment in our lives, but I am grateful for that moment and will love and care about her forever.

Life has so many demands on time and attention. How do I organize myself and fit in everything I need and dearly want to do and include being there for others? Though I receive considerable satisfaction from getting through the lists in my planner, my greatest joy comes when I feel like I have been of true service to someone else. I have a feeling that as I ask the Lord, I will somehow find the balance.

No comments: